Saturday, March 8, 2008

Do you really MEAN to ask that question??

It's really strange how people react when I tell them that I'm moving.  The classic and oft repeated scenario happened last week at Home Depot.

HD light guy: what are you getting new lights for?
me: fixing up our house to help it sell
HD light guy: where are you moving?
me: Utah
HDLG: oh, how do you feel about that?
me: (thinking, why, I feel fine about it, since you're really asking how I feel about Mormons?) great! I have family there and went to college there.
HDLG: oh, good.  let me show you the lights over here.

It's like they're testing the waters as to whether they can say, wow, how do you feel about living with all those Mormons?

Then today was another classic, at work. I was introducing myself to an OT (occupational therapist) who I hadn't worked with before and updating one of my OT friends on my current life.

me: It's my last Saturday. I'm moving at the end of the month.
OT I don't know: where are you moving?
me: my husband got transferred to Utah.
OT IDK: Have you studied up on Mormons?
me: I AM Mormon, so yes, all my life!
OTIDK: oh! I have traveled a lot in southern Utah. It's beautiful down there.  It seems like it's its own world though, doesn't it?  They have their own set of rules.  You have to get a permit for everything! rambling and back pedaling on and on....

In my head I was wondering what permits had to do with Mormons. I don't mean to make people uncomfortable, just be honest that yes, I don't mind moving there and yes, I have studied about the Mormons, it's called seminary, institute, church, etc!

People are funny!

1 comment:

Admiral Joe said...

if someone posts something as a comment and you don't know who they are, or understand the comment, it's probably a virus.
love,