Tuesday, October 11, 2011

House {fore} Closure

A year ago, I sat with my dear friend at our Halloween party, and I confided in her that something had to be done about our house.  We were continuing to lose thousands of dollars renting, and there was no end in sight.

We decided that we would raise the rent at the end of their lease so that they would finally be paying the mortgage and we wouldn't be caught with a shortfall each and every month.  We were nervous, worrying that such a hike in rent would send them packing.

Luckily for us, they were transferred to Georgia, somewhat solving our problem.  We immediately put the house on the market.

Three short sale offers and rejections later, we are finally coming to the end. The last short sale was rejected last week.

Our house in Minnesota is being sold at auction tomorrow morning.

It is truly a relief.

I never, ever thought I'd say that, but it's so true.

I'm relieved that we can stop dreading the mail.
I'm relieved that we can stop feeling guilty about bills all the time.
I'm relieved that we can move on.
I'm relieved that we can start saving again and start over.

It was a good home for us.  I will always treasure memories of bringing home Miss M to it, sitting on the couch watching the Olympics and watching the snow fall while I nursed, planting a garden with my mother, and turning it into our first home.  I wish that it had ended better.  But we were meant to move to Utah.  In all the things I've second guessed about the house and worried about all these years, I know that we were supposed to be in that home, and I know that we were supposed to leave it to go to Utah. Just like I know that we are supposed to be here now.

I am so ready for it to be over.  And I'm thankful that it will be very soon.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'm glad that you are relieved about the whole situation. I'm really sorry you guys have gone through so much with it though. Hope things will look up for you now!

Grace said...

Oh, I am so glad it's finally going to end. What a relief! I'm also glad that you're looking at it so well now. I know it's hard and I can't even imagine how horrible it has been. I'm so glad it's going well now.
Love you

Amy said...

It sounds bad to say "Yay" to this situation, but I know how relieved you are. It's nice to get it done and over and move on finally. Good luck! Love ya girl!

Joye said...

I'm sorry for the stress you've had to go through to get to this point, but I'm so happy for you that the burden is now lifted & you'll be able to get on your lives out in UT! xoxo