Friday, April 6, 2007

The April Cluster

My family specializes in birthday clusters. Wednesday was my Mom's birthday and today is my oldest brother's birthday! Happy Birthday!!!

I was going to write something special about my Mom on her birthday but I was a slacker and didn't do it. So here we go, two days late and I'm not sure she even reads my blog, but here we go anyway!

My Mom is amazing! I know everyone thinks that about their Mom and it's probably true but my Mom is amazing to me! My Mom is always smiling. In fact, when she's NOT smiling you know something is REALLY wrong! Her smiles are infectious and everyone loves her because she is so happy and smiley. When I was a kid, I loved how she hummed all the time. It made me a hummer when I was little and if I'd stop in the middle, she'd ask if I was going to resolve my song. I'm not sure I ever made the connection until now that that meant she was listening.

A few years ago, I told my little sister how lucky she was that Mom made sure that she was at camp every year that she was. Selfishly, I was envious until I realized that Mom had done pretty much the same thing for me. I don't think I recognized that when she was the craft lady at camp or a workshop speaker that she was probably motivated to volunteer because she wanted to be with me. My fourth year, right before we were moving, she was even the stake camp director. I knew that one was for me because we all thought she was crazy since we moved the next month.

Mom will do just about anything for her kids. She dropped everything every time I got sick. I didn't realize how much she ached for me until I was scared for Megan when I was pregnant. I asked her if it always hurt this bad when you're scared for your children and she welcomed me to motherhood. She spent a week with me when I had Megan and that was one of the most precious times to me. Will was back at work and Mom would putz around my house cleaning or even painting!! and she and I would just talk all day. I loved that. I have loved growing up and discovering a new relationship with my Mom, one that gets even better. I love my Mom.

...stay tuned for the next birthday, this one was late, so the next one will be too! :)

No comments: