Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Million Directions

My Grandpa is dying. Months ago, when we first started planning to move here, my Grandma said to me, "Dying can take a long time. We seem to be on that road." Since I've gotten here in April, however, things have definitely accelerated. He broke his hip and went to a nursing home and my grandma moved in with my aunt to be closer to him. We have been so blessed during this time to be "caretakers" of their home and be able to stay here while we get settled in the area and figure out where we want to live long term. It has also blessed our family to be closer to this family during this time.

I went to visit my grandparents today. I'm so glad I did. It's been a few weeks and things change so quickly. He's been moved home to my aunt's house and hospice is coming in to take care of him everyday. When I moved here, I felt like my grandma had been taken over by a frazzled, frantic woman who was completely overstressed and overworked taking care of grandpa. It was hard to see her that way. Both of them have changed. I walked in to see my grandpa awake but not very aware, not responding to our questions or greetings, on oxygen and barely eating. My grandma, on the other hand, was at peace. We were able to share lunch, a game, and a lovely afternoon chatting and visiting. I have always been honored to be named after such an incredible woman and I'm often reminded of such. Especially being in her ward where she is considered a saint and an angel. And they're right. Where some of us walk in to see grandpa and only see how he's changed and how hard it is to relate to a dying man, she feeds him water through a syringe and gives him gentle kisses. And yet, she seemed frank and open about the future and so okay with her current situation. She kept telling me how well SHE was being taken care of.

It's strange to get to that point where it would be a blessing for things to end. She told me today that she's asked grandpa to tell her when his parents come for him. I hope they do. I hope they welcome him and embrace him into a wonderful comfort that he doesn't have to be afraid of so that he can be at peace too.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

Thanks for your post. Your words seem to capture the situation very well. I've never experienced anything like this....seeing a person change right before your eyes..physically and mentally. I consider it a blessing and hope that I can one day be as strong as your Grandma is now.

Grandma Jan said...

This is so wonderful to read. It is sad butI am really glad that you shared this with us. It's good that your grandmother is taken care of and at peace. You take care too. Love, G Jan