Thursday, June 18, 2009

Not fit to be seen in public

Less than twenty minutes ago, I was crying in the checkout line at Kroger.  
I asked M three times during our outing if she needed to go potty.  She swore she didn't.  I should have known better.  She went to look at the trains while I checked out and less than five minutes later she was wetting her pants. Not running to me asking me to go potty, not trying to hold it, but announcing that she already went.  grrrrrrr

I am sooooo not cut out for this! I HATE potty training. I just do.  I know I say that a lot. My stubborn girl is giving me a run for my money.  I feel so guilty but I do not like this phase of parenting.  

So now, I'm sitting in my too-warm apartment, exhausted, tired, while my daughter is naked, having been stripped of the right to clothing, and dreading going out in the 95+ degree heat in less than an hour.  

So if we're not out much in the next few days, it's because we really belong at home where no one can see either of our tantrums!

8 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so sorry! I will admit that every time I got pregnant, one of my first thoughts was..."crap another person to potty train!" However, eventually they get the hang of if (some sooner than others). With Hayden I just had to plan a week where I didn't leave the house, until he had it down. Not fun, but necessary for us.

Jen said...

Potty training is SO hard! Don't beat yourself up over it.
I have two pieces of advise, but you can throw them out the window if you like.

1. DO NOT by pull-ups. Olive loves pull ups (especially that ones with princesses). I made Olive where cheap diapers. Peeing in you pants should not be rewarded with expensive pull ups.

2. Go nakie. When I finally potty-trainer Olive it was when I let her go bare bum. I swear this makes a huge difference. (When we went in public, which we did, I would make sure she had on a longer skirt or dress.)

PS I would love if we had a playdate some time.

Jen said...

An extra PS, After re-reading my post, I want to say that I should have said wear not where.

Emily said...

I know nothing about potty training except that if you don't like it, it's certainly not going to be up my alley. Hang in there - if I were near you I'd bring you a tall glass of ice cold lemonade and a window air conditioner.

Emily Larkin said...

I am so sorry. I am sure that I can also throw in my parents deepest sympathies, and grandma with that, because I know that I was a terror to potty train. Grandma and Grandpa had to bribe me with a tricycle to finally seal the deal. I am adding you to the top of the prayer list!

Amanda said...

Girl I am sympathetic for you and I haven't even started potty training my little one. I dread and look forward to it (one fewer bum to wipe is a pretty nice incentive for me...).

Crying does help us feel better, though, doesn't it? :) Hang in there!

Grandma Jan said...

I feel so bad for both of you. I almost cried too. But the good thing is M will get it. She's a smart girl.
With W we did the baby doll on the potty as an example but the best thing of all was to take 3 days at home (it didn't take any longer) and get to the bathroom every 2 or 3 hours and try (but no pressure - they know what to do). M & M s on the back of the t seat did the treat as a reward.
With my daughters I forgot but I do know that one figured it out and within 24 hours she had taught her twin - great!
Hang in there and good luck.

But, hey, it's a great way to rack up the comments. We all love you and pray for the best.
Love,
G Jan

Liz said...

thanks for the support guys! this is one roller coaster I would gladly like to get off of but now i know why my babies are so easy...toddlerhood!