Thursday, February 25, 2010

Anne with an E

I grew up on Anne of Green Gables.

My Mother introduced them to me and I loved each and every volume of L. M. Montgomery's world. I wanted to live there. I wanted to be Anne. Actually, I wanted to be Diana, because I have dark brown hair. But I wanted to be Anne's kindred spirit! I loved that Anne grew up, married her one true love and raised a posse of children and stayed true to herself all at the same time!

I loved the movies, and it was then that I wanted to be Anne. Because Gilbert Blythe, her one true love, was wonderfully handsome. I loved having Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea marathons with my college room mates.

When I heard about "The Continuing Story", I was forewarned that it was different. That they had messed with the lovely world and plot that Montgomery had created. I decided it was okay because Megan Follows is still always Anne to me.

But, I just discovered "A New Beginning" at the library this week. I'm not sure what to think. Except that I liked it better when Anne was orphaned at birth than her father was a drunk who caused the accident that killed her mother. That Marilla actually knew that Anne's father was alive and "protected" her from him by not telling Anne about him. I liked her simple, but still tragic, upbringing that inspired her dramatic countenance.

The young Anne is charming, and even though her hair is too straight, she has that overly dramatic whimsical character true to Megan Follows. But Anne does NOT grow up to be Barbara Hershey! And so I'm not sure if this will go on my growing list of unfinished books and movies or if I will change my tune when it's done!

And, if you have no idea what I'm talking about, well, go check out the book. You won't regret it!


3 comments:

Heather said...

Totally off the subject here, but have you ever noticed Shirley Maclaine ALWAYS does films that are remakes? She's type-casted herself and I'm a little annoyed but then again, maybe this movie is good and I shouldn't judge right?

Grandma Jan said...

I love Anne too; In the literary sense.

Marla said...

i will have to check this out. i was freaking OUT when they announced the continuing story -- and i was sorely disappointed...
it was laughable! it was like someone stole all of anne's youthfulness and innocence and suddenly was a smoker between acting jobs or something. however best line -- "you've got better ham in your sandwich".