Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Crushed Ego

I screwed up at work this week. I was in a stressful situation with a patient on Saturday where she showed up 20 minutes late to a 30 minute session, and proceeded to yell loudly at me in the middle of the OT gym in front of everyone about her pain. Frazzled, I misread the order, didn't do the paperwork right, and lost the note for the next therapist to fix my mistakes once I realized I had made them. Luckily, the patient is fine and no harm was done. I got a phone call at my office on Tuesday informing me of my misdeeds and I have felt terrible ever since. I have made big changes in my career this year-going from only seeing kids to seeing adults as well-and it has been very stressful for me. After not working with adults for several years, it was like going back to school and relearning how to do things. However, I've gotten so much positive feedback from my adult therapist colleagues that I suppose a little humility was in order, but I am scared to face them the next time I work at the hospital. So I came home last night, bought Chipotle burritos and felt a little better. I suppose some ice cream would help too...

2 comments:

Alisha Harris said...

Liz, I know just what you mean by going back to school. After 3 years in the education system I just started at a hospital this week. I am lost.

Liz said...

Oh good luck! It gets easier!!!! Which hospital? UVRMC or one further north?