Friday, March 6, 2009

I am Job!

I started working two weeks ago! 

People have asked how it's going and I haven't had much time to report so here's the low-down.  

I'm not working at the Children's hospital for now. I may in the future but they don't have anything for me to do right now.  Since I got here though, a lady at church as encouraged me to check out her daughter's school.  I'm not a school speech therapist. I have never wanted to work in a school so I always thanked her and told her I "might" in the future.  Then one day, my Mom mentioned the school in passing and asked if I'd ever followed that tip.  My Mom and her impressions!

So I called the school and less than a week later I had a job!  I work two days a week. It's a really cool place. It's a small private school for special needs kids.  Some parents started a homeschool because they weren't happy with the services their kids were getting at school. It grew and now it's its own school.  There are less than 30 kids there and most have Down Syndrome or Autism.  They go to class during the day and the therapists pull them out for speech, PT and OT.  What I love is that it's the best of both worlds. It's a school but I'm not tied to an IEP or a school curriculum.  

My first day of work was rough so the next week at church everyone was so excited to hear how it went and I felt bad. I didn't have much to report.  But I loved the kids from the first day!  Now that I know my way around and am more comfortable, I'm really enjoying it!  

4 comments:

Tati said...

I'm glad that you are getting used to it and enjoying it! Your girls are getting so much older and they are so cute. I love the header you created- it's so adorable!

Emily said...

Congrats on the job, it sounds like an amazing opportunity. I think all new jobs take an adjustment period and first weeks are definitely high anxiety.

Linz said...

That's awesome! I always find it stressful to start somewhere new, but the cool thing is that you loved the kids from day 1. This sounds like the perfect place for you right now.

Liz said...

thanks guys!