Wednesday, August 10, 2011

sucked into books!

I have read a few series that have absolutely sucked me in! I alluded to the first, Poison Study, in an earlier post.Poison Study by Maria Snyder sucked me in from page one! I loved the intrigue. I wanted to know what was going to happen with each character and I had fun guessing! I loved the characters in this, from the murderer-turned-food-taster to the assassin-turned-politician. I love the friends she makes and how they learn more about themselves as Yelena pushes herself. I was happy to see them in the next book!
I dove into the second book, which had a slower start but then grabbed me and I couldn't put it down either! It is a bit racier than the first book, but still not at all rated R. I loved the concept of magic in this book. That it is all around us, and we draw from it to perform magic and control the world around us. It isn't something conjured with a wand. I like that. I was happy to see the relationships she builds with her family when she had never had family that she could remember.
I was excited to read Fire Study but somewhat disappointed. It felt like Suzanne Collins' Mockingjay where it just rushed from one disaster to the next while she tried to fit everything in! I loved these character so much in the first two novels, that I was disappointed with the rush job that seemed like neverending conflict. I grew tired of Yelena's "I have to save the world and OBVIOUSLY I'm the only one who CAN!" attitude that I feel is in a lot of female protagonist books...at least the ones I've been choosing lately! :)

Did I finish it? Yes.
Did I love it? The first two, yes! The third, ok.
Would I recommend them? Sure!

No comments: