Friday, March 2, 2007

My Love of Books


I had a precious moment this morning. I was cleaning the bathroom. Yes, I do clean, and no, that wasn't the precious part! I was wiping down the sink and I could hear little chattering noises. M had just crawled away and it was quiet chattering so of course I was initially worried. Anything quiet is not good! It usually means messes and mayhem! So I went to her doorway and there she was. Sitting in front of her bookshelf. With one of her books open, chatting to herself, reading to herself. She turned the pages and kept reading. I wasn't quick enough with the camera because she heard me in the doorway but I have found her like that before, reading to herself and I think I must be doing SOMEthing right that she's already turning into a bibliophile!

My Mom used to say I devoured books. I used to think that was funny that it meant I ate books! I remember the teacher that started this love. Her name was Miss Johnson and she was my third grade teacher. I read before that, but she sparked a love for reading that has never gone out! When the school year started, I was scared of her. She was kind of stern looking and had never married and when I was that young I still thought that meant something was wrong with you. But during her reading time, she would come alive. I remember wanting to read everything after that year! And I did! The baby-sitter's club, Little House on the Prairie, Where the Red Fern Grows, Beyond the PawPaw Trees, No Flying in the House, Nancy Drew, The Boxcar Children, and many many more. I still love to read. During college, I would read Harry Potter and the DaVinci Code while I was on breaks from school. I was so excited to be out of college and able to read "fun" books in the evening rather than studying all the time.

I love that M is loving reading too...at least right now! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I just LOVE that! Jess has been doing that lately too. Honestly, I don't really remember Haley doing it. It really is so precious. Keep up the great work!

Wouldn't it be neat if you could track down your old teacher and send her a link to this posting?

Liz said...

I actually sent her a card when I was still in grade school but moved from California, hoping she still taught at the school, and she got it, and wrote back! It was so great to be able to tell a teacher what she did for me in my life!