Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My sister

I called my family the other day on the way home from work. I do that a lot. I'm in my car. I'm thinking about them. I want to talk to them. I call. I happened to get my Dad who put me on hold to start a 3-way phone call with my sister who had also called....at the same time. See, she's in college now at BYUI. And she has discovered that she shouldn't have teased me for calling on my way home from work all the time. Because now she calls on her way to and from class. She now knows how I feel. :) The best part of our conversation was when I said I had to go and my Dad chuckled and said, "I hate to admit it but I don't know which daughter said that." I loved it and it made me warm and fuzzy inside.

See, while I love my sister to death, I'm ten years older than her and sometimes I think we're not very alike. She looks more like my Dad, I look more like my Mom. She dated her way through high school, my first kiss was at 23. She got the skinny genes, me, well, yeah. She's bubbly and a social butterfly, it's still just one of my new year's resolutions. Sadly, sometimes wer'e the most alike when one of us bursts into tears at the dinner table and runs from the room, crying. But I love her to death. I love my four sisters-in-law but it's Gracie who I'm thinking of when I'm watching a PG-13 movie worrying that she might watch it. It was totally weird for her to go to college. She's in the real world! She's dating for real now! She could get married and have babies of her own! She better not any time soon though!

We may not always have much besides hormones in common but I love that when we get on the phone, we laugh the same and that our Dad gets teary-eyed for his two girls that live far from home.

4 comments:

Claudia said...

that is very sweet and honest of you...how lucky are we to have sisters and Dad's wrapped around our little fingers.

Katie said...

I love it!

Jen said...

I love reading your blog! You totally made me miss my little sister! Luckily we only live a few hours apart, but we're far enough away that I don't get to see her as often as I would like to.
p.s. Thanks for the nice comments on my blog--somehow I accidentially erased one when I was editing my slide show. Oops-sorry!

{irene} said...

That is so true!..I love Grace to pieces!...and I know how much she loves you!