Friday, February 22, 2008

My private blog rant

I don't understand why people privatize their blogs. Are they having scary people make scary comments or is it truly paranoia and worry that's motivating them?  I read a lot of blogs.  They don't know me personally but in almost all of the cases, I have finally gotten up the guts to comment on their blog so I'm not stalking them anymore. The ones I read regularly that don't know me are almost always because they're in the same boat as me: moms with two year old girls who are just figuring out this whole mom thing.  It's nice to have company out there.  I just don't understand why that step is necessary.  and I totally recognize that it's a personal decision, that's why I'm ranting on MY blog rather than my mom blog where I started to write this! :) I google my name and my blog name quite often to make sure I'm not saying too much or revealing personal information, and I don't get far at all!  So I feel comfortable with the steps I'm taking.   I don't find anything out that would reveal where I live beyond the state and where I work.  So I don't get why if you take a few precautions, you can't share your cute pictures and stories with everyone.  I get just as tickled when a new reader comments that my daughter's cute as when someone stops me in the grocery store and says the same thing-they're both strangers! I understand that people want to protect their families.  I understand that it's easier to say what you want to when you know who's reading your blog.  But you're posting it on the internet for heaven's sake.  For the whole world.  If you didn't want everyone to read it, you shouldn't post it on the internet. There, I'm done.  Now I have to go reveal myself as a stalker to another blog so that hopefully they'll continue to let me read. :)

4 comments:

Claudia said...

:o) Ha! I love it. I totally know what you are talking about. Except you are much better than I, I haven't revealed myself to hardly any of the blogs that I stalk. Especially when it's one of those blogs that has a ton of readers who cares :o)

Amanda said...

I second your opinion!!! I think it is irritating when people do that. But I guess there are crazies out there, so people get worried. I use a stat counter that tells me the ip address, date, time, etc.

{irene} said...

Amen sister...I was tempted to do it, but I decided not to...for many reasons...

Claire said...

I go back and forth all the time, especially due to my husband's job, but when it all comes down to it, even private blogs can be hacked into... if people want to find you, they can. I try to be careful... I don't use our last name. And for all people know, I don't use our correct first names either... the beauty of the internet!!

I agree completely with your thoughts though... and I'm glad yours isn't private! I love seeing your photos and reading about your family!! Especially since I feel like I kind of "know you" through Linz and the Sugar and Spice blog!