Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My kitchen Essentials

I'm missing my own kitchen but also right at home in my Mom's. So, inspired by my cousin, I'm going to share my favorite things to make fabulous meals!

1. My huge nonstick covered saucepan.  It's deep and wide and I use it all the time.  (I say use, because my Mom has one too and if I were at home, I would definitely use my little sauce baby everyday!) It can take you from sauteing onions to the finished product. I just made yummy pasta al forno in it last night!
2. My toaster oven.  Everyone needs a toaster oven.  It does the job of a toaster with added benefits.  Namely, cheesy toast, poppers, cinnamon toast, pizza rolls, cookies, you name it!  
3. My color-coded plastic sheet, grippy cutting boards.  Are you loving my technical names here???? One is for beef, one for poultry, one for veggies and one for fish.  Although the fish doubles as a second veggie sheet.  They're thin and dishwasher safe and I especially missed them when I lived with Grandma Betty who only has wooden cutting boards.
4. Cutco.  nuff said. 
5. My Williams Sonoma Melamine nesting mixing bowls.  Love em!  One cracked in the dishwasher two years after I bought them, I took them back and they replaced the whole set with a brand new one because it was guaranteed.  hooray for good customer service!
5. I too am in love with my kitchenaid.  Silly me, I was intimidated by it at first.  After we got married, it sat on my counter looking pretty for over a year while I continued to pull out my crappy but familiar hand mixer.  No more.  I love this thing. It makes pumpkin bars all the more enjoyable!
So there you are.  Since moving in with relatives, I've discovered a few new kitchen joys.  Parchment paper! Apple cutters! They're fabulous! Share your kitchen faves!

2 comments:

Emily said...

I love it! I'm going to have to try those cutting boards, I like that they're think and wouldn't take up tons of room in a drawer!

Marci said...

I LOVE my apple cutter! I have a Bosch machine instead of a Kitchenaid. I LOVE it too. I also love my silicone oven mits. :D