Monday, July 23, 2007

My Harry Potter Journey

When my Mom left last week, I felt full, after a wonderful week of TLC, fun, and good lovin' from my Mom and little sister and brother. But I also felt so empty and left alone as they drove away without me!

I feel the same today. It seems so silly that a book would do this to me, but it has. I cry over good books. I remember as a 12 year old, locking myself in the half bathroom in the Little Rock house, crying my eyes out over "Where the Red Fern Grows"... and I don't like dogs! I got my Harry Potter book 7 on the way to work on Saturday morning. I knew I couldn't stay up until midnight on Friday because of Saturday work, but I had to get it first thing! I walked into WalMart and got it and left and sat at work reading until I had to actually, you know, work! When I got home, I confessed to Will that I'd already gotten the book and he left me alone, taking M on his errand so I could just read and read and read. Last night at midnight, I had about 150 pages left, and I knew M would be up early, so I literally Forced myself to put it down and sleep but of course sleep did not come quickly!!! This morning, I sat in my pjs on the couch reading while M had breakfast, looking at me and singing sweet songs to me from her high chair as I sobbed so hard at parts that she would get worried! It was amazing!!!!

This book did not disappoint me! I have always thought Rowling was an amazing author, but I confess, I was worried that I wouldn't like how it ended or that questions I needed answering wouldn't be answered. It was perfect. Everything came full circle and even the things that made me cry made sense. So I feel full of this good sweet book and empty that it's over.

I came upon Harry after the 2nd book. I'm slightly older than those who "grew up with" Harry Potter and had graduated high school and read book one the summer after my freshman year. I immediately insisted that my family read it and we were all hooked by the time book two came out. I waited in anticipation for each book thereafter and have enjoyed each step in his tale. I can't wait until my kids are old enough to read it to them and let Harry cast his spell on their lives as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK so you win. I'm only up to page 62 but to be fair, I worked all day and even until 8 PM tonight. Don't know when I will have a big block of time to read Harry.
G Jan