Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Book Reviews

I have been on a reading kick.  And I got my library card finally! Yay!!! So, here goes on what I've been reading lately.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I loved this book! It gives so much detail into the Chinese culture including arranged marriages and footbinding that was just fascinating and had a wonderful story with incredible characters! Read it!












Fablehaven by Brandon Mull.  I found this one on a list of "what do I read now that Harry  Potter is done?" and really enjoyed it! It was juvenile fiction but you all know I have a soft spot for that.  It was different and I liked that!  The characters and overall premise were very original rather than copycats (rather than how I feel about Christopher Paolini books)










Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Okay, I devoured this one in the car on the way home from Colorado!  I literally read this one in less than 24 hours.  It had me hooked.  I won't give anything away but it was definitely a page-turner and emotional.  I didn't completely like the ending but she sure knows how to create a controversy.  I enjoyed reading this book but it was hard to read this book. Does that make sense?  And I didn't quite like it as much as My Sister's Keeper.

Next on my list...
These is my Words -if I ever can find it for my S&S book club!
Pope Joan -now that I have my library card!
Okay, let's be realistic, The Host is next  because I couldn't resist and got it at the library!!!!!

3 comments:

Claire said...

I think I liked My Sister's Keeper better too... Nineteen Minutes was good, but I felt like I could relate to the position of almost every character in My Sister's Keeper. I cried so much while reading it!

Pope Joan is AWESOME!!! It was a great recommendation by Aubreydoll. I'm excited to hear what you think about it, once you finish The Host of course. Let me know how that one is... I read the synopsis and just don't have a desire to read it...

Linz said...

That's funny, my mom just told me last night that 19 minutes was the next best Picoult and it's on hold for me at the library. I'm excited to get it.

Jen said...

I just finished reading 19 minutes today and I agree with you--it was interesting to read, but it was also hard to read. Also, there was a bit to much profanity for my taste. I also couldn't resist and started reading The Host today!