Saturday, June 12, 2010

DC Sights!

I have always wanted to go to DC!
We have planned so many trips there as a little family and they've all gotten shelved due to babies, grad school, moving, you name it.

So I was thrilled to take this chance, cash in some airline miles and see the sights with my sweetheart!

He had to work Thursday and Friday so I had two days to myself to explore.
This is the closest I got to the White House. I hope W does better before he leaves!
And this is the closest I got the capital. Same comment as above.

And it would also be my only complaint about this city. The metro is wonderful but how they expect tourists who are NOT marathon-trained to make it around to all the monuments without their legs turning to jello is beyond me. There is a bus that you can hop-on, hop-off but we didn't find out about it until the last evening when our legs were already dying! I'm still bummed I didn't make it to Lincoln's Memorial. Next time!
The "Old Post Office"
The Smithsonian Museum of American History
The really cool tunnel attaching the two wings of the National Gallery of Art
The waterfall that I ate lunch by at the National Gallery of Art
The National Gallery of Art that I got to early, not knowing it didn't open until ten, so I thoroughly enjoyed it in peace and quiet, before it was swarming with teenagers!
more proof, yes I was there!
The Smithsonian Castle-really yummy eclairs!!!!
The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. I still haven't found the right words to describe this place-tragic, beautiful, moving, amazing. So glad I made the time!

We are so blessed!

No comments: