Saturday, January 12, 2008

Christmas projects!

I was a nerd and didn't take pictures of the projects I made for my Mom and T for Christmas. I took the pattern I got from Cramster and made it bigger! I was so excited with how well they turned out. T had specifically asked for one in brown and aqua/blue and I was so nervous that she wouldn't like the colors/patterns I ended up with but I never saw her without it the rest of the trip so I must have done well. :)
My Mom had asked for a bag for her to take to Young Women's (she just got called to be the ward's YW president). Hers turned out massive and a bit deeper than I anticipated but she still claims to like it. :)
They were fun to make and so quick! I changed a few things from last time and felt so smart! :) I used fat quarters for all my calicos and bought the pre-quilted fabric for the liner so I wouldn't have to make a liner or use batting that felt so thick but I wanted the quilted look and it worked wonderfully! Plus I only had two layers to sew. I also attached the handles early so I wouldn't run into the problem I had last time of not knowing where to put the handles! It worked great!

ps-thanks Kathy for posting these so I at least have one picture of the bags! Maybe we can work out a jewelry/haircut-bag exchange for the next time I'm in town!
pps-Gma Jan asked what "fat quarters" are. They're small squares of fabric that you can usually buy for a discount so you don't have tons of fabric left over. They're convenient because you also don't have to wait in line to get your fabric cut! :)

3 comments:

Jen said...

Way cute bags! I'm impressed!

Amanda said...

Hey those look great! Using quilted fabric for a lining is a great idea. I am going to try that on my next one.

One more note about fat quarters - they are a different size than if you had 1/4 yard of fabric from a bolt. Fat quarters are usually 18 inches x 22 inches (a short fat rectangle). A 1/4 cut from the bolt would be about 9 inches x 44 inches (a long skinny rectangle). Same total amount of fabric, different shape. It makes a difference on somethings, and doesn't on others. Just FYI.

Also, at places like Joann's they get the fat quarters from different vendors than they get their bolted fabric. So if you see a fabric you like in a fat quarter then they probably don't have it on a bolt in the store (I only know because I asked and that is what I was told.) Okay. I have commented too much. The bags look great.

Anonymous said...

You're awesome....I'd totally be down for an exchange! I just stumbled on your blog from Irene's...all this time I had no idea who liz&meg were!! Haha!