Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Gordon B. Hinckley 1910-2008


The Prophet passed away on Sunday night. He truly was a Prophet of God, and I will miss him. He was a source of comfort and faith during my growing up that helped grow and foster my testimony. Something that has always stuck out to me but is really a small thing. When I was 18, I wanted a second earring hole in my ears. My parents said no, so I asked for it for Christmas. They relented with the words, "If you want to make yourself look like a barbarian, it's up to you." Nice, huh! Of course, I immediately went out and got my ears pierced again. I loved my earrings. I loved wearing four earrings at a time. I took such good care of those holes! And not six months later, President Hinckley told the Young Women to only wear one set of earrings. I was so bummed! I prayed about it and felt it was important to just be obedient. I haven't worn earrings in those holes since. It's a little thing, but I learned a lot about being obedient to the Prophet.

My Mom sent me this poem in an email.

Prophetic Passing


I imagine he's running to Marjorie now,
Yes, running, not waving his cane.
I see him embracing his father and mother
While they keep repeating his name.

I see him now meeting his forebears,
Brother Brigham and Joseph are there.
Sweet reunion of prophets, united by service
That only such noble men share.

I see him embraced by the Savior
While Father says, "Good and well done.
So faithful in stalwart endurance, I welcome
My noble, most excellent son."

I then hear the ripples of laughter
As he says the reception's just fine,
But he hopes that he'll get an assignment or two
Since there's no need to waste any time.

I can hear his clear voice in the stillness
At the close of this sweet Sabbath day,
Have faith and move forward - there's work to be done.
President Hinckley would want it that way.

Anna M. Molgard
January 27, 2008

2 comments:

Kim said...

Liz!
I've finally jumped on the blogging bandwagon, and I'm now going through to check out all my long lost who I'm pretty sure are bloggers. So fun to see what you're up to. I love the poem (I'm actually going to add it to my own site if you're ok with that... hope so) It brought a tear to my eye.

Jen said...

Thank you for sharing your feelings about our dear prophet. I love the poem.