Friday, August 7, 2009

Living Vicariously

I was planning my wedding six years ago.
My color was periwinkle. I still adore that color. We threw in navy to give it a more wintery feel. It is funny some of the other details that I just don't remember anymore.
My grandmother made my veil. I loved that. I will always love being able to tell people that.
My dress, the bouquets, and the cake were perfect.

When I got married, I lived in Minnesota and my Mom lived here in Arkansas.
I had many wedding coordinators in place of my Mom.
My first dress shopping experience was with Holly and Julie.
Julie was really my wedding planner. She hooked me up with a caterer, a seamstress for altering my dress, and went shopping with me for everything. She made my table centerpieces. Holly and Julie were my unofficial bridesmaids, taking me to get a mani/pedi the week of my wedding and providing me with lingerie.

Then there were the ladies at Talbots. I worked there during grad school. I finally had to order dresses from beautifullymodest.com to get dresses with sleeves and that would be temple appropriate. The ladies at beautifully modest were so kind when I was ordering and told me which dresses would fit my body type and told me I could cheat and order three dresses and as long as I shipped them back within 48 hours, I wouldn't be charged.

I got them on a Friday morning from the UPS shipping center and took them to work with me. I couldn't very well leave them in the car to bake in the heat and possibly get stolen! When my manager realized what I was bringing in, we had a fashion show instead of cleaning up the store! It was perfect! great lighting and mirrors everywhere! And what everyone said was true! I knew the second I put on the second dress that it was the one I would keep! I still love that dress!

Watching Grace plan her wedding with my Mom makes me sigh. I wish she had been more than a voice on the other end of the phone approving decisions and giving advice. (insert sigh again) Luckily, my sweet sister is letting me tag along on a lot of adventures like fabric shopping for the bridesmaid/flower girl dresses and she even let us "help" her register the other night. I missed the dress excursion (yes, she found a BEAUTIFUL dress already!) but she promised I could come taste cakes! :)

It's pitiful of me, I know, but I am enjoying it. It's so sweet to see Grace so happy and in love. There is nothing like being in love when you're engaged!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Ooo,la,la! What kinky lingerie did you get? This posting made me laugh because you are obviously enjoying this all so much more since you know what to expect when it comes to weddings. Hopefully this is getting you over your funk that you were in!!! When we meeting up in Texarkana?

Amy said...

How fun! I loved having my older sister with me...and she was there every step of the way. I think having her and my mom helping me make decisions was a great help. I felt a little more grounded and not so fickle...airheaded...immature. So you go "Big Sis." Enjoy it, because the next girly wedding in the fam will be your daughters.