Friday, August 28, 2009

Book Reviews: Junior Style

It's no secret I love YA fiction. Brandon Mull and Shannon Hale are some of my favorite authors. I've recently gotten my mom and sister hooked on The Books of Bayern. I have wanted to read this series for a while now though.
Uglies is about a futuristic society where the playing field is leveled at sixteen and everyone receives plastic surgery to become "pretty". Everyone has basically the same features, skin color, size, etc. No more judging people on appearances. And until your a "pretty", you're an "ugly". It was interesting and kept me sane during the stomach virus of last weekend. It wasn't as captivating as I'd imagined though. However, I've already reserved the next book, Pretties, because he leaves you with a big cliffhanger!

However, we're not just YA fiction fans here! I've been getting more books for miss M to expand her horizons beyond Disney Princesses while still playing to her heart's desires. We have enjoyed Fancy Nancy and Olivia, but this is an adorable book! Read it, and you won't eat all the pink cupcakes next time! :)
My coworker at the school has this book and I recently read it with one of my kids. The next time were at the library, I checked it out to share with miss M and W. They loved it too. And I was thrilled to see it's a series. I hope the rest are as fun! Don't forget your Antonio Banderas accent when you read it though! (and remind me to tell you about the French kid after you read it!)
But in an effort to continue to be the book club member who reads the books but never makes it to the meetings, I also checked Pope Joan out. I have started it before but didn't get past the prologue and birthing. This time, I've conquered that and the gouging out of the eyes. So, I'm doing pretty good! :) Wish me luck!


1 comment:

Amy said...

Purplelicious is cute too. We didn't know about it until we had checked out Pinkalicious 5 times.