Thursday, September 3, 2009

cabin fever

I truly hope that the changing of the seasons helps to somewhat remedy this!

You see, I have had the strong urge, dare I say, impression, that we need a family vacation. A real one. Not a trip to see family where we come home more exhausted than when we left. Not a trip with extended family. That's next summer at mom and dad's timeshare. A real vacation where the WE Holmans are with themselves for some small-family-of-four bonding.

We were in the semi-firm planning stages of a wonderful, thrifty, memorable trip to Washington, DC this fall. We have both always wanted to go there. Instead we paid grad school tuition.

Worth it? of course. Sad nonetheless? of course.

Our life is stressed and busy right now while we adjust to W's new study schedule and my ever-changing work schedule. But then there's this urge.

The urge that makes me calculate how cheap we can go to Disney World for at least once a week.
The urge that makes me figure out if I can drive to Dallas by my lonesome to see my dear friend.
The urge that makes me want to never eat out again so we can still go to DC and yet still make it to Kauai next summer.

sigh... like I said, I need fall to come and refresh my soul!

3 comments:

Emily Larkin said...

I totally feel for you. I am so sick of my in-laws assuming that I want to spend all my vacations in Utah! I want to go someplace new too. I want to go to D.C. I feel like a phoney teaching Civics and American History without having been there. I miss your Disneyland ticker cause it always made me feel good to know that my Baby ticker was closer to completion then your trip ticker. It was a real comfort during the first trimester.

Liz said...

I miss my Disneyworld ticker too!!! I figured I should delete it though and stop fooling myself. It's not gonna happen. Will's parents took his sisters to DC right after we were married and didn't even give him the option of going. He still hasn't gotten over it. It had always been his dream to go there-they forgot and took the wrong kids, maybe? :) Oh well. So it's always been on our agenda to make up for that. someday.
sigh...

Heather said...

Am I your dear friend in Dallas?!?!? I miss you tons Liz! Don't give up hope on these family vacations and don't feel like you are the only family who never goes on one, we RARELY get to go anywhere because of G. However, my sister is one of those coupon crazy ladies and literally gets over $200 worth of groceries for less than $30! If you want me to hook you two up she could teach you the art of coupon'ing and you could save tons for a great family vacation!