Sunday, February 20, 2011

The King's Speech


I debated for a long time about whether I would see The King's Speech. It is rated R and I don't watch rated R movies. However, I felt very drawn as a speech therapist to this movie. After hearing from friends and colleagues alike that the only offensive language is used in the context of therapy, I decided to go. I was not disappointed. It is a fabulous movie with a fabulous message. The F word (along with a bunch of British swears that I don't really comprehend) is said, repeatedly, in two short scenes, as a strategy to release tension.

I didn't want to raise a controversy because I chose to see this movie. But I did want to share that it is refreshing to see a movie that positively portrays stuttering, as this article points out.
I also enjoyed this article about who the real Lionel Logue is from the publication I get for being a speech therapist.

I don't do a lot of stuttering therapy right now, but I admire those like my friend Roxanne, who are experts, who are patient and innovative and are able to help stutterers communicate.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing this, Liz! Tom and I don't typically watch rated R either, but we have both REALLY wanted to see this one. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Because you did, we'll probably see it too. :)

Allyson said...

I am so glad you saw this movie! I loved it as well. Knowing it was rated R was a bit puzzling as I was watching it. About half way through the film, I leaned over to my friend and said "Uh...why is this rated R? There is NOTHING in this movie that is offensive!" As you said, there are two short 15-second parts that have him blurting out swear words to relieve the tension. That is it. I think I have seen PG-13 movies that offended me more.