Thursday, April 7, 2011

Book Review: Moon Over Manifest

I highly recommend reading this year's Newberry Award winner, Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool.!

It is a charming story, that reminded me of the Secret Life of Bees a bit.
A girl, trying to figure out how she fits into her own past with only a few clues to go on.
It did take me a little bit to get into it but solely because this month was so
busy and distracting!
You fall in love with the characters, you want to solve the mystery, and you want to see this
town overcome its own hardships!

One of my favorite parts of the book:
"The line between truth and myth is sometimes difficult to see. " As her voice got heavier, and her rocking more rhythmic, I could feel her heading into a story. "As much as we wanted it to be true, it was nothing but a myth."
What was she talking about? What had been a myth? My insides got tight. I wasn't sure I wanted to know.
But she went on. "Who would dare think the outcast and abandoned can find a home? Who would dream that one can love without being crushed under the weight of it? A miracle cure to heal the sick? Pah. What makes us think any of this could be true? And yet all of us, we participate in this myth, we create it, perpetuate it."
Miss Sadie's voice grew deep under the weight of the story.
"But what is worse-we believe it. And in the end, we are crushed by it..."

It is a charming story. Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Montaño’s said...

Can't wait to reccomend this to my bookclub!! Thank you!