Sunday, September 2, 2007

Hello Goodbye

I really don't think I said never. I'm pretty sure I didn't say, "I'll never let my baby have a pacifier past twelve months." But I did make it an earnest goal! Then, I was very sick around her birthday, followed shortly by my surgery, then vacation, then her ear infections, then vacation, and well, now she's 18 months. Don't get me wrong, she only uses it in bed. She hasn't used a pacifier outside of nap and bedtime for a looooooong time! But it's still here and I really wanted it gone. So, on Friday afternoon, I put her in bed for her nap and told her they were gone, that she was a big girl now and didn't need them and she still had her bear and blanket and she'd be okay. Yeah, it didn't go that smooth. I did say all those things, but they were shortly followed by lots and lots of screaming!!!! That nap it was only 15 minutes. That night it was only 20 minutes and then she gave up.

Then came Saturday. Three short catnaps and a crazy day later, she didn't really make it to bed until 9:30. Any of you who know my baby know that is NOT enough!! Well, this time, stress, exhaustion, and a runny nose helped her cry for oh, an hour! And we're talking screaming! Every time when I'd try and go in and comfort her, when I'd leave she was worse. Finally, she calmed down but awoke during the night a few times and started fussing this morning at 5am! I'm determined we can't go back. Even though, I'm pretty sure she is getting a cold, we can't go back!!! I just hope we survive! W and I are wimps in this department because she's always been an amazing sleeper!! So, now we have to survive this hopefully brief but very painfully loud hiccup!

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Good Luck you guys...that's so hard but so worth it. Hopefully it will get easier as our families grow....It was torture to get Madsison off her bottle at 18 months maybe even longer! Jex is 11 months and I am already giving him a sippy cup every once in a while, don't want to relive the past.